Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Wishful Wintertime Smoothie

Its hard to stay focused and bright eyed in the cold dark months of winterland places like Toronto.  The other day I went for a run with my friend through the park, the sun was KIND-Of shining...but to be honest it hadn't KIND-OF shone in a long time! So it was exciting and it fueled my legs and pumped my heart and my pale pale skin grabbed onto the very few rays that were shining down and gave me the slightest tan.  That is right...my skin was so desperate for the tiniest amount of sun, that it absorbed every bit it could, and later on another friend actually noticed (So it was not all in my head!).  The moral of this story is that my body needs some sunshine, some fruit and some sweet comforting treats.  
I would like to share the simple mixture that I have been throwing together and calling breakfast for the past week (and maybe the next week...yum!).

My Wishful Wintertime Smoothie
I have been using (but of course you can always use another combination)  

-1/2 banana
- Approximately 1/4 of blueberries (as the fresh ones at my food store looked Poopie..I opted for frozen in until they begin to look more appetizing)
- 1/4 cup of Plain Organic Yogurt
- 1/4 cup of Organic Almost Skimmed Milk
- 1 tsp of honey


I am lucky enough to have the use of an immersion blender, So I just throw all of the ingredients into a large cup and Blend away until all the chunks go away and my smoothie reaches that lovely purplish color.  I chose the best looking frozen blueberries I could find...certainly the most expensive but the package asserts that they are farmed in a sustainable way so I choose in this case (until I have time to further research this.."Stahlbush" farm) to have faith.  As the ingredients did solely include blueberries I think I may be safe this time!  The Honey I was lucky enough to buy at Dufferin Grove Market from a couple that bottles their honey right here in Ontario.  The had an impressive selection of honey--the most intriguing was ginger honey--but I went for the regular ol' every day honey...I didn't want to get to carried away! 











 And there you have it, a simple, yummy breakfast/snack/desert.  If you do not have an immersion blender do not fret! You can use a regular blender, a hand mixer...a food processor...or just put the things together mix with your spoon and EAT! it really is a question of how chunky do you like your food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment