Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Perfect Pizza

Even though I live in Little Italy, the mecca of delicious pizza, I still insist on making my own here and there.  I usually buy my pizza dough at My Market Bakery in Kensington for something like $2 (it is also easily found at most grocery stores and other local bakeries...if not then ask them to provide it!)  and use whatever veggies I have in my Possession.  Last week I added all of the best things I could find which were...




 Ingredients:
1/4 eggplant sliced very thinly and halved
2 cups of mushrooms sliced thinly
2 gloves of garlic
4 tbsp of pesto
1/2 block of Mozzarella
1 Pre-made batch of whole wheat pizza dough 
Optional: 3 tbs of olive oil


Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. Get the dough into your desired shape on your desired baking apparatus.  I use a cookie sheet, lightly sprinkle if with whole wheat flour and push and pound it out slowly.  you don't want to rip and reattach your dough...you want to keep it as one piece the whole time, so pumping it out may take a little while. 
3. If you want a thicker crust pizza then cover your kneeded out dough and allow to rest with a towl over it for up to 45 minutes...if you like it thinner then put toppings on and cook as fast as your hands can go
4. Put layer of pesto all over the pizza leaving as much crust that makes you happy.
5. sprinkle with your desired Cheese
6. Add the veggies.  When i use eggplant I put the chopped garlic right on top of the slices and then dribble with olive oil...this is for garlic lovers
7. Place in oven and cook for 20-30 minutes (Mine took about 25 minutes)
8. For the last couple of minutes turn the heat up or turn to broil so that your cheese will bubble...but keep an eye on it here so you don't have a burnt pizza pie

No comments:

Post a Comment