Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Transparency of Food

Thanks to Michael Pollan, whenever I go grocery shopping I hear his voice in my head reminding me to "shop around the border of the store to focus on whole foods (not packaged non-food items)"  "Eat FOOD, mostly plants, not too much".  It reminds me to think about what I consider to be The Transparency of Food.

On the most basic level I think that the food we eat and drink should be transparent--  that we should know what ingredients were mixed together to make the final product. flour + baking soda + strong kneading hands = Bread.

Just as important as what is IN our food should also be what is NOT in our food... I looked at this bottled orange juice this morning, I noticed that the third ingredient was Pasteurized Fish Oil, and the fourth ingredient was Gelatin.  What do these things have to do my OJ? What do they have to do with my food?

On the next level food Transparency should be: Where does my food come from?  followed by: Why does it come from there? followed by: What sort of policies are responsibility for the safety of my food? And OnAndonAndon

While thinking about our food, trying to eat mostly "food" but not too much! I think that for anyone anywhere a wonderful place to start is to simply ponder the ingredients--avoid anything that doesn't make sense (Like how I noticed Starbucks adding high fructose corn syrup to their yogurt???) and feel free to fall as deep into this rabbit hole as you so desire.  In my case, I can no longer see my way out...

In this Vein I would like to share a simple, yummy snack--food for thought if you will.  Some non-local but Goopy-Guacamole accompanied by ever so Perfect-Pita Chips.

Ingredients for 2-3 person snack:
- 1-2 Pitas
- 1 Avocado
- 3 tbsp of lemon or lime juice (or one whole lemon or lime)
- 2 tsp of salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp of cumin
- curry powder and Paprika (you can use one or two of your favorite spice..these are just mine!)



Perfect Pita Chips
1. Set your oven to 350
2. Take some fresh bakery-bought pita and tear it up into kinda-triangles, or whatever shape makes you happy
3.  Place them on a cookie sheet or casserole dish or any oven safe apparatus
4. Sprinkle a thin layer of: Curry and Paprika and Salt along with a sprinkling of olive oil
5. Place them in the oven for 20-30 minutes (depending on how crispy you want 'em)

Goopy Guacamole
1. Take one Avocado and feel that it is nice and ripe---If you squeeze it and can feel that it is tender then it is ready to go...if it is very squishy, it should still be fine but should definitely be used right away before it goes bad!
2. in a bowl mash the Avocado with: minced garlic, lemon or lime juice (add less juice if you want your Guac to be super chunky and more juice if you like it creamy), salt, cumin....
3. mix together very well, taste and make important decisions on which ingredients you want more or less of! (more salt? less garlic?)

When the chips are nice and crispy, sit on your couch, turn on some music, and enjoy this lovely treat! 
  

2 comments:

  1. Pasteurized fish oil in your OJ? No thanks! Reminds me of Innocent Drinks (a British beverage bottler). Labels on their all-fruit drinks are brilliant: I bought one of their strawberry smoothies that listed "a few small pebbles" in the list of ingredients and elsewhere (I believe on the underside of the bottle), "We lied about the pebbles." Brillo!

    ReplyDelete